Friday, June 26, 2015

The Daily Savant

No Lie...


See?  I finally got to put my hand into the Boca della Verita and it didn't chomp my digits off!  Like I said at the beginning of my recent Roman excursion, "Roman Holiday" is one of my favourite films of all time.  Last year in Rome, SB and I tried to hit up all of the spots featured in the film, but ran out of time for this one.  We walked to it and saw it, but the line was wrapped around the building and we just had to move on.   

This year, we got a morning to ourselves and dedicated it solely to stopping by the Boca (and of course, there was essentially no line).  The story behind this guy started during the Middle Ages when some genius (or collection of geniuses) started spreading the rumor that if a liar placed his/her hand in the mouth, it would be bitten off.  There was also another story having to do with a poem written by Virgil about an adulteress who tricked her husband into believing that he hadn't been cuckolded by placing her hand in the mouth and withdrawing it intact.    

In any case, it's darn cool.  Figuratively and literally.  This was the coolest place we visited all day.    

Since there were no lines at the Boca, we wandered around a bit.  Looked friendly enough that a Canadian tourist asked us to help her find her hotel (which we did… figured we needed to pay it forward since we hitchhiked in Malta on our last trip and survived to tell the tale), and then shared a giant slice of watermelon in one of the most picturesque little squares I think I've ever seen. 













No comments:

Post a Comment